This game is a lot of fun – once you understand the concept and rule. Unfortunately the manual is a confusing without a little guidance for first time player. That’s why I am writing this post to help further elaborate and avoid confusion. I definitely recommend this game for a fun family and friend gathering night.
One of the thing that makes Unstable Unicorn hard to understand for new players is the different effects given by almost every single card. So here are my few tips for you – This is a short quick guide. I will not touch based on self-explanatory instructions, this as a further explanation to the manual. There are endless strategy to play this game because of all the different effects. Oh, and the unicorn drawings are so adorable!
I highly recommend playing an open hand to get a feel of the game until all players gets an idea, then go ahead and battle away!
- The first person with the required number of unicorns in their stable wins! The number of unicorn to collect varies depending on number of players. This is the number one thing to check before you play!
- Deal 1 baby unicorn Card and 5 play cards to each player.
- Place baby unicorn into your stable while play cards remain on hand. *Stable are where cards are in play and lay out. Cards on hand are to be played, remains cover for yourself to view only.
- Please refer to your manual on “TABLE SET UP” diagram
- “YOUR STABLE” diagram shows how the set up once you have more cards to layout
Words You Need to Know
- This is the key to understanding the game. You must know these words. Always give each player a cheat card.
- Please understand your card types. The card type is represented by an icon at the corner of each card. For example, the instant card has an exclamation mark at the top left corner as shown in below picture.
- Instant Card aka “neigh” card. This card can be play at anytime
- Upgrade Card & Downgrade. Place the card in stable at action phase.. Effects happen during the beginning of your next turn.
- Magic Card. This card is play at action phrase.
- Since each Magical Unicorn comes with their own unique effect, it may feel overwhelming. Here are some key tips to help you put the picture together.
- “When this card enters your stable…” this means the magic/effect happen only when entering your stable.
- “If this card is in your Stable at the beginning of your turn” this means the magic/effect can be use starting the next turn
- “If this card leaves your stable…” magic/effect happens when the card is remove from your stable
- “Return it to your hands” If card is to be taken away, return to hands, NOT discard pile
What To do on Your Turn
- Please do not mix up when to play at ‘beginning of your turn’ and ‘action phase’.
- At the ‘beginning of your turn’, you will look for the effects you have in your stable, and play them. You do not play your cards on hand during the beginning of your turn. Magic card are not effects, they are to be played at action phase.
- Vice versa, you do not play any effect during the action phase. This is the part where a lot of new players are confused.
Please don’t hesitate to message me if you have any questions. Enjoy!